Even if you are only a casual NFL football fan, you probably have heard that Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay was arrested (Sports Illustrated) on March 16, after an Indianapolis police officer noticed his erratic and slow driving. According to the Indianapolis Star, after Irsay was stopped by the officer, he had trouble standing, his speech was slurred and he admitted to taking several medications.
I have attached the story for more details. However, one specific detail of the arrest has raised specific questions. According to the police report, police found $29,029 in his vehicle which included, $14,516 in a briefcase, $2,513 in Irsay’s wallet and $12,000 in one of two “laundry” bags on the passenger’s side floorboard.
As a lifelong Colts’ fan, I was saddened by the news. I met Jim Irsay a few years ago and was left with a profound feeling that he is a very nice man. Also as a fan, I have always appreciated his actions as an owner.
Currently, Mr. Irsay is in a care facility undergoing inpatient treatment. So, no one knows why he was carrying that much cash. Fans have speculated. From Stampede Blue, one writer guessed the following with tongue in cheek:
1) The Highlander wasn’t enough trade in equity for the downpayment on a Mercedes S600 AMG.
2) His clothing launderer messed his order up and gave him a bag from the money laundry.
3) He was answering a Craiglist ad for a full collection of Affliction shirts. Cash only.
4) He was on his way home after losing the silent bid auction for the flute from the Marshall Tucker Band.
5) He was still picking up the $100 dollar bill breadcrumb trail he left behind to help him find his way home.
6) You never know when the tamale guy will magically appear at Kroger.
Because I am known to be a rabid fan, I have been asked why he was carrying this much cash. Maybe because he is a billionaire, it didn’t seem like that much cash to him as it does to the rest of us. That’s my hope. For now, we can only look on the bright side; hope and pray that he recovers, and look forward to the day that he returns to his chair as active owner. The words of a true fan!
DID YOU KNOW that there are 158 verses in the Greek National Anthem? Seems like a long time to stand during a song!
And for pic o’ daY: