I seem to keep getting drawn to lists. Plus, the last days have included rain storms that can make you want to snuggle, read a good book, nap or just stare at the rain drops; but it doesn’t lend itself to breaking out into a smile. In fact, some would say that it brought out a bit of anger or sadness with the lack of sunshine.
I think that I have blogged on smiling in the past. Still, despite the rain, reading these facts about smiling from this MSN.com article, reminded me of the benefits of smiling. Plus, just seeing a smile seems to pick me up a bit.
Here is their list for reasons to smile, with facts on smiling.:
1. Smiling fights stress. When you smile, you release endorphins, aka “happy hormones, that change your mood and relieve stress.
2. Smiling makes you look more attractive.
3. Your first facial expression was a smile. Scientists believe that we are born with the ability to smile.
4. Think of smiling as an exercise. 53 muscles are used in smiling.
5. Smiling shows our range of emotions. There are 19 different types of smiles that range from polite smiles to heart-felt smiles.
6. Some scientists are so fascinated with the concept of what smiling does to the human condition that there is even a title for the study of laughter: gelotologists. (I would have guessed it was the study of jello)
7. Smiling can strengthen your immune system and prevent colds.
8. Smiles are contagious. A Swedish study concluded that people have difficulty frowning while observing someone who is smiling.
9. Smiling is good for your career. Studies show that employers promote people who smile often in the workplace and smiling shows confidence. (I would be curious to know how they determined this finding) AND FINALLY…
10. Smiling can reduce your blood pressure!
DID YOU KNOW that Friday October 3, 2014, is World Smile Day?
And for pic o’ day, a bit of help in the kitchen:
Please click the Facebook “Share” button below this post to let others know you enjoyed reading it. Thanks!